Re: LF: QRSs

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: QRSs
From: "Peter Dodd" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:05:32 GMT
Sender: <[email protected]>
Rik, ON7YD suggested the following method of reporting in SCW and this seems to have been adopted by all operators using this mode

   T = too weak to read (so longer dotlength required)
   M = weak but sufficient for a QSO
   O = 100% readable

Rik also suggested the following additions

   S = strong enough to shorten dotlength
   A = strong enough to be copied in normal CW

What tends to happen in practice is that if the signal is audible then a RST report is sent. If it is sent in the form, say '42N' (the N being a delimiter rather than a tone) I cannot see anything wrong with that. It has been suggested that to use four dashes _ _ _ _. This could be used to say 'the signal is audible and reduce the dot size if you want to get the QSO over a bit quicker'.

The main problem is that on being told that the signal is audible there is a temptation to go for fast CW. It happened to me (twice) but I wont go for fast CW again in the middle of a SCW QSO.

There are two reasons:
The bandwidth settings and often the receiver tuning have to be re-adjusted. During this performance the signal can get lost. The present unofficial bandplan, with all SCW above 137.65 seems to be working quite well. To use fast CW in that part of the band (when the band is busy) is a bit unsociable.

The simplest solutions are nearly always the best.

--
Regards, Peter, G3LDO

<[email protected]>