Re: LF: reflector archive history...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: reflector archive history...
From: Neil <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 12:25:15 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Is there a mirrored archive or backups of the blacksheep server to preserve it and keep it active when the server is no longer alive? Are the admins of the group still around?

I'm not a fan of groups.io by any means, but the monetisation model seems to work for them, with free non-commercial groups acting as a way to market the commercial service to the businesses that have free group users on the payroll to act as unpaid influencers.

I can imagine there would be consent issues with a closed non-indexed group being ported to an open one.

There is a similar issue with the French SHF forums.  There are two running in parallel and most users are cross-posting duplicates every time in hyperfr and hyper-fr-ref.

Archival storage of old forums and websites is more and more important as we lose some of the folks who created the first generation of ham radio sites.  We can't just put our trust in the Internet Archive.

Neil G4DBN

On 18/03/2019 10:37, Paul Nicholson wrote:

> groups.io forums like UKMicrowaves have public archives
> which are indexed by search engines.

Unfortunately the groups.io settings would have been inherited
from the Yahoo group as part of the migration process.  The Yahoo
group was set up as a private group (as befits a family or commercial
discussion group), so the archives and files were never public.

I doubt that it is possible to retrospectively change that because
that would expose posts made when the group was private.

Agreed, in every respect groups.io is an improvement on
Yahoo and on traditional mailing lists like this one.

Eventually the blacksheep computer will fail - it's have been running
on borrowed time for years now!  We have been very lucky with it.

A solution would be to create a new group on groups.io with public
archives and files.  groups.io itself might last 10 years or so, but
the public archives will last indefinitely as a resource for
historians.

--
Paul Nicholson