Re: LF: VLF Carrier on 8270.01 Hz from a ground loop antenna - The 6th s

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VLF Carrier on 8270.01 Hz from a ground loop antenna - The 6th station on Paul's spectrogram
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 13:54:47 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=aol.com; s=a2048; t=1546091692; bh=20V7iEdaooayg7q4oaxh5ZHr72UHnlBDc58sFJJ0ojA=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:References:From:Subject; b=DhTB5AfqxIeH3/tuKPU9PeUHbrRls8jQwlZlAxaiv5tw2YUp44qMKcguc5HQIkCydElPdDGDKdI8UwUGf1P62UDIXl/EP4EXca6hvGjCmK1uDICE486z/yVaIf1SkTH5EZhd6u+++uh9oufCFWX1EEzGVBR/DEhrOGVi2POxPiv/KiPDXvAV5wpbgee/QSn3XoKwdOn5SSkLpoI81ywpnljWeaOPPtYZGO/dETGsQtQOMePhXQg4L8JvsS0EnjKwd9mQbVFRe3MpN19R2bD9Y+SsgEq/rjzNG1vzbOhBlSSJlT/P9dOmp86ONY3qHtIuMFwX2jusoTmoQ+onlYERDQ==
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan,

strangely, nothing is visible here in Nürnberg now.

At DL0AO, the portable transmission (~ 280 km) appears to be around 9 dB stronger compared to the institute in Heidelberg (~ 230 km, reference measurement at 7:50 UT on Dec 27). However here in Nürnberg it seems to be the other way round: the transmission from the institute (180 km) was strong  (up to 20 dB SNR) all day, but the signal from the guiderails (230 km) is completely invisible now.

The explanation may be that a sharp midday minimum exists at 230 km. Looking at DL0AO traces, we can see that the signal from the institute indeed almost disappeared at noon. During earlier Experiments it seemed that the minimum was very pronounced on our 180 km path, but that was later in the year around April and May. This seems to make sense, as higher solar Illumination pushed the midday ionoshere further dowen, requiring steeper skywave angle to arrive at the same 3/2 lambda path difference for cancellation.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)