RE: SLF: EbNaut @ 80 Hz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: SLF: EbNaut @ 80 Hz
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 17:26:03 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1545344838; bh=paVLYCjLMQ2oxVdQSwSnKAwBeEBI03xSEOJ2BaMkwHU=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=YKJPqJvZa5lK0caP8XdkllyIPDEKWh+HGfDPSiP0AdirsQC9MFoslOoz0lwrONu2J 1k36Z5iA7hZ3uAnhZRUxz908IMolFHSyMx3TrYf08mDS/4ZCAyVDkxalfalj3v+bN0 v2eS/JHF5FmETd3OGCOwf/dvC7FczKQYrSsZQi7wYiv3zhZP3rDm+cvHdAPByXOf6E gMZ1cZ4Ins0COqr+Uvg7z94VYAcQ0X3h7GJ6mAxiAwYpcsHfFiKaA0iHw49rVdEA7D /ZBwc/9qm5nXPD0Ccu2LGscWKDoBMf+b6FTUpJ/6dmqt32uAnRJ29Z8ikprEG8220g kN205gJekUCTg==
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Stefan,

Very nice signal at 80 Hz (seen in your grabber plot).

Your DFCW-5400 plot seems to indicate about 25dB-30dB SNR during a quiet period around 02:30 on 27 November; does 25-30dB SNR in the quietest period 27 Nov – 29 Nov sound approximately correct (in other words am I interpreting the plot correctly)?

Is 5400 is equal to or similar to the number of seconds of integration?

It is exciting to read that you are headed toward 23 Hz.

I had guessed that natural noise at 23 Hz might be ~ 20 dB higher than at 9 kHz, and that an impulse blanker (lightning noise blanker) might not work so well at 27 Hz because the long tails of the sferics overlap. Natural signals (“noise”) at 1 Hz and below can have long spatial correlation distances (many hundreds of km) which would enable noise reduction by subtraction of digitized signal from a distant receiver (much farther from the transmitter), from the digitized signal of the local receiver. I don’t know if the spatial correlation lengths are anywhere near as long at 23 Hz as at 1 Hz (23 Hz has a greater ratio of sferic noise to magnetotelluric noise), but still wonder if you could subtract raw data from another receiver perhaps 170 - 230 km away to cancel 23 Hz noise captured by your local receiver?

73,

Jim AA5BW