RE: LF: LF and VLF EbNaut

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: LF and VLF EbNaut
From: VIGILANT Luis Fernández <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 13:37:15 +0000
Accept-language: es-ES, en-US
Sender: [email protected]

A comment about NEO M8N modules

Beware that there are actually many counterfeits of this modules. I bought one from an eBay seller and finally discovered it is not

a fully compatible module. Have a look at what the RC people said about this

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2693310-M8N-GPS-list-of-fake-good-and-original

What I found in my module is that ir performs OK. There is just one clock output which is configured at 1Hz by default

It can be configured to output any frequency up to 10MHz. Tested it to send EbNaut in LF at 2x the frequency and works

perfect. BUT there is no way to permanently store the configuration. Every time it powers down starts at 1Hz output

I have other uBlox modules and know how to configure them. Tried to flash the module with new firmware and got

an error which typically happens in fake modules

So. I recommend to use the good old (and cheap) NEO 6 and avoid the 8

Same as from Win7 to 10   ;-)

Paul. The jitter and phase noise of this modules based on NCO oscillator makes them unusuable when used as reference

for a high frequency PLL. There is where you can only use them to discipline a good VCO and use the high performance of the VCO

But for the KHz world it works perfect, as Stefan illustrated

73 de Luis

EA5DOM