LF: Re: MF JT9-2 report

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: MF JT9-2 report
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 13:20:10 +0000
Accept-language: nl-BE, en-GB, en-US
Sender: [email protected]

Paul, all,

before I started programming SlowJT9 I did a "dry test" by generating JT9(-1) and JT9-2 WAV files with a known SNR and feeding these to the JT9 decoder of the WSJT-X suite (the JT9-2 WAV files after conversion to JT9). In the SNR range from -24 to -32 dB I generated 100 files per step, in 0.1dB steps (an automated process that over 12 hours).
The result was:

The 50% successful decodes treshold was -26.9dB for JT9(-1) and -29.3dB for JT9(-2), so 2.4dB in favour of JT9-2.
But is has to be said that just pure white noise was added (no static crashes etc...) and the signals were perfectly stable. No TX/RX drift, no ionospheric effects. All these might reduce the JT9-2 advantage.
Therefor test reports with (very) weak signals are most welcome.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T