Re: LF: RE: The next experiment on 970 Hz - Cracked the far field border

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: The next experiment on 970 Hz - Cracked the far field border below 1 kHz
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2018 21:15:49 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan,

congratulations also from my end! The fact that you did receive the signal well on one loop but not on the E-Field remains a big riddle.

One thought just crossed my mind: The Rhine river might behave as a large conductor, extending South-to-North more or less in the middle between the antennas. There are probably also railway and electric power lines running along the valley. At this frequency, magnetic fields are penetrating deeply into the ground, and might encircle and magnetically couple to this conductor from either side.

One question is whether the H-field is stronger than expected or the E-field is too weak. This might be answered by calibrating the TX and RX antennas and measuring absolute levels. The loop area (or "effective depth") of the TX antenna might be obtained in receive mode by comparing induced voltage with a small test loop, using manmade VLF signals or spherics at different frequencies and extrapolating to 970 Hz. ZEVS might provide another data point (if it's azimuth is not too far off the maximum from the earth antenna).

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)