Re: LF: EbLaunch - an easy application for managing Window's EbNaut-rx

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: EbLaunch - an easy application for managing Window's EbNaut-rx
From: Roger Rehr W3SZ <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 14:43:41 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1522849424; bh=JKfw/9byhh7Zu/DLBvzmpofxkBoYyUMrOmGfCr/D5ds=; h=Received:Received:Reply-To:Subject:To:From:Message-ID:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=JXy3KtuLG2ToPYtroYwadfsj2SPTeRb4fkPG0bHaSQkNwxOEt0frnOlr5GU9scpLC 0Smd/xWj+Vuh8nyvlq+wvcNKJj008zl8LTuqLMWdYeecJ9MFgYRdn3w40w0B4l/v3M OYyMK7AjClf/IhVkEjxsdimpsBkolaalAHihZn5N1i1+y33O9ifnex2d1m5zstJaO1 uFHAUJTKw5qGtN7568wxPQqLYcFT9c7KedT9Y7Usm8tRruYOaw1OcP1/+uf5fgOoXa E1+YP1yBqBJYPo0tEYtUeFu7p0WRbmePzTgXvLvcyQn/1bQKzkRYCfpQCZ/Bzu22TS sYLg8ZsKBNgXA==
References: <CAC+C6w4RhUHx105ROkh3NnVXc2+TJ7=jaXXY=54D0x6UBdOVWQ@mail.gmail.com> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <CAFMr_N3sykxEh4s=PsAYcX76950z3KT4hH6YwgqoK0ycWWjp0A@mail.gmail.com> <[email protected]> <CAFMr_N0kcYUxZpy1HC-L-R5TVLGY5VT5n-jWGpuDQekwNZLmVg@mail.gmail.com> <CAFMr_N32mZLQX1NDuh5nwGw+gMZ-VDG6EB-AD8Ha3ogPhKHRPg@mail.gmail.com>
Sender: [email protected]
This is of course a System.Globalization issue, caused by the program
expecting the date to be formatted in a certain way that is
culture-dependent.

It can be resolved (on a Windows computer) if the user sets the Windows
System culture for his/her computer to one that uses the European
standard for date presentations.  But this is a bit inconvenient.

Microsoft has a way of handling this and other culture-dependent
idiosyncracies ( such as the "dot-comma" problem encountered when
formatting numerical data ) that I have used with good result in some C#
programs I have written that are used both within and outside the USA.
By using the CultureInfo.InvariantCulture Property you can make sure
that the dates are converted to a culture-independent format before
using them in calculations.  If this is done then it doesn't matter what
region (culture) the user's computer is using, the calculations are
correct.

This is discussed here, with an example of how to use the
"InvariantCulture" property to accomplish this:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.globalization.cultureinfo.invariantculture(v=vs.110).aspx

I suspect that most of the readers of this forum don't want to get this
deep in the weeds, so I won't give more detail here but would be happy
to discuss offline if you have trouble adding this capability to your
software, if you choose to do so.

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ