Re: LF: Neo6M vs Neo7M

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Neo6M vs Neo7M
From: Paul Nicholson <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 20:25:39 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=abelian.org ; s=default; h=Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Type:In-Reply-To: MIME-Version:Date:Message-ID:From:To:References:Reply-To:Subject:Sender:Cc: Content-ID:Content-Description:Resent-Date:Resent-From:Resent-Sender: Resent-To:Resent-Cc:Resent-Message-ID:List-Id:List-Help:List-Unsubscribe: List-Subscribe:List-Post:List-Owner:List-Archive; bh=JZvotRuoJpALqx8dV3/+o8NUx4AJdgt8i/Op6jsT2ks=; b=B7hHaTWcqoeuDZw5bEd74XWOHw FC1j4vhwHeIO8QvePIdvHWsY2fs70yNzvd1o4R5HgcKyUI6XaBRPY3MeJCLU4uOtivgynhNSKgSmW O0yGFdZZqEOMkebP3fUvrl6v9REnYu9SKe0tyOloNJKINrKN+10rUgZtecWPqqMqqFqA=;
Sender: [email protected]

I bought a cheap NEO-7N based GPS module,

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XXGJPVM/

It just plugs in and works, and it accepts all the
regular UBX commands to set timing pulse width, or set
a timing frequency.

I've got it in frequency mode hooked up to a phase measuring
thing, with the reference coming from a Trimble GPSDOCXO.

It's only been running 20 minutes and the Trimble is still
warming up, but here's a first plot

 http://abelian.org/vlf/tmp/170710a.gif

After it has settled down, we can get an idea how good it
would be for a LF LO, by scaling up the phase by the
frequency ratio LO/9765.625.

The GPS modules is powered through its micro USB socket from
an RPi, which also fires the UBX config commands from it
using gpsctl > /dev/ttyACM0.   I've got the phase measuring
thing running on the RPi too - using the Octo audio card.
Sample rate jitter on the Octo is cancelled out in this
test, as the phase thing just looks at phase difference
between two input signals.

--
Paul Nicholson