LF: Re: [rsgb_lf_group] Radio computer

To: rsgb_lf_group <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: [rsgb_lf_group] Radio computer
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 19:52:29 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=wSw7QQ3LgLxtgrJBffKC0h789UFZLKs8tx7n5dsPimw=; b=ZB7Q+QZc5/eFjAQen4ha0iPYUCPBxKDzIrr6sMKTswZAnHIurxTlEBw4SZ1dwn/B7q RE7adZBIvFI6j2G+H1YZsyew6vYElfXbFhNOUoofBUPX6PS1DmdKzMT2CpeTs9IF5poR kokVuguynaK1WHAJzmxPLMLJl1vQ3HrUi6EtDmrnumwRBzv+3NN9Upy8QpmuIhc5Fsb9 9X/AUcYPDMghJGlTCJtx3gf2muc2k5mbKbx+SQH+BjOQkA6WIiuQdiH2pXBDJSZfPWi9 n1cFvgBO6gP34MdqFXnLzOrWEDTWSybZ6UYiJWjrvUbnv/gVsVGN8sdkV1zDhoO4sf/l RPdw==
Sender: [email protected]
I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 15000 laptop with Win 10 Home,  3GHz processor and 8G of memory. That lot was the default Dell offering buying direct from the company and I couldn't be bothered customising anything apart from opting for a rather overpriced copy of the lastest uSoft Office - just to have  the latest version on at least one PC!

Initially half-expecting all the various problems discussed on the Groups over the years, I was more than a bit surprised to find that every single bit of software put on worked perfectly, near enough straightaway.  Two or three had to be installed in compatibility mode - but the installation process advised this at the time. In fact, MS Visual Studio - which is deprecated in Win-7 and won't install at all in Win-10 actually works better in XP comptibility mode on the laptop than it does on the Win-7 PC. Even the old 16 bit stuff all works seamlessly in Dos-Box - especially after I learnt how to decrease the deliberate latency to speed it up.

So all initial fears about Win10 were unfounded.   I also use a separate desktop PC under Win-7  with large dual monitors for shack use with SDRs and soundcard and DSP, so haven't yet tried to run a separate external soundcard on this new laptop.   However, I have tried all the data mode software using the laptop's internal soundcard, with an interface via the combined 4-pole headset jack.   (Mic input via 100:1 attenuator and phones output) .   Every datamode package worked perfectly.    FTDI serial interfaces for COM ports all worked with the driver already and once each one of the (very many) FT232R interfaces had beee recognised, their COM port allocations remains fixed.

All in all, no problems and a very nice machine.   It does take a long time to set up when you fist get it - think I spent about 20 hours in all but there is an awful lot of software and data on it - nearly 30 years worth in all.   The most useful thing I've learn't  is to use a USB-SATA bridge to connect the hard disc from my old machine and copy all data files en-block.  I also always keep installation files on disc, but in practice it's usually better to go on line and download the latest version of these for a fressh install.

Andy  G4JNT