Re: ULF: New experiment on 970 Hz, 2/3

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: ULF: New experiment on 970 Hz, 2/3
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 15:51:39 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Markus,

Thanks. I can follow your complex and interesting answer :-) Oh oh i hope the effect you are discribing didn't happen during the recording. It took about 4 m wire for the probe, then there is a RC lowpass of 1 MOhm / 40 pF in front of the gate. Also i watched the spectrum from 0...24 kHz in a fast scrolling spectrogram while beeing in the forest, and it looked quite normal. The levels were at -30 dBfs or so. From other observations i saw that the noise can be that high below 1 kHz, when using an antenna that is sensitive in that range. My loops on the tree are totally deaf on that frequency. Their preamp was designed for > 6 kHz only...
The schematic of the E field RX that i used is in attachment... The gain can be switched from 20 dB to 30 dB. In the RX site i saw that using the higher gain helped to rise the SNR of the signals near 1 kHz. The 40 pF in front of the first gate consists out of the gate capacity and 2x 1N4148 diodes at negative voltage. Then there is an additional 22 pF C that can be switched too. The switch was on during the recording because of the relatively high probe capacity. I feared exactly these effects you are talking about, that's why i added the possibility to add some more C to the RC lowpass.

73, Stefan