Re: Tesco 113B radio [was: Re: LF: Smart noise cancelling?!?]

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Tesco 113B radio [was: Re: LF: Smart noise cancelling?!?]
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 22:14:07 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi again Pieter. That is very interesting. Yes I suppose 3kHz would fit the MW/LW "grid" of 9kHz frequency allocation spacing for BC stations. The design objectives may look odd, particularly to those of us who are older, but it is ineresting to look at the design in terms of manufacturability and cheapness. Labour is the most expensive item in electronics and technical labour is almose unaffordable for consumer items. So I think they design to avoid the need any manual setting up.......no trimmers or coils to adjust. Key pads are expensive and prone to fail, a potentiometer and a scale silk-screened on the knob or the case, is easier and probably indepenent of language, since the main supply target for these type of units is counties in Africa, S. America and Asia. Sale to Tesco is probably at a premium and help keep 3rd world prices down. Strangely though I think only Europe has LW BC stations.....and those are closing one by one.

Maybe the maker bought a bin full of surplus chips when a big manufacturer ceased production, and designed a product to use them up?.

Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pieter-Tjerk de Boer" <[email protected]>