Re: VLF: SpecLab GPS-phaselock with faster PSK

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: SpecLab GPS-phaselock with faster PSK
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 10:48:34 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
In the meantime, I have changed the PLL setup again. Now it can only do hard-keying, but this works down to 1s symbols which is the shortest selectable periodic actions interval. I have swapped the functions of the L and R channel: The auxiliary carrier is now generated by the AM modulator in the R1-R2 Blackbox, converted to the final frequency in R3, and PSK-modulated in R4-R5 (bb[3].delayline.bypass_factor). The PSK is undone again in the feedback path in the L1-L2 blackbox, so that the phase comparator sees a constant colour and does not have to react to the modulation. There is a small delay to compensate for DAC and ADC latencies (500 ms, "timer.expired" in conditional actions).
One possible pitfall is that the AM modulator carrier level needs to be set to 0.00002, due to a bug in the scaling from +-32768 to +-1. The entry field does not have enough digits to show this small number, but the full precision is used and saved in the ini. Best to check the level using one of the little scopes at R2 or R3.

Here I am using SpecLab v2.92b01 which seems to work fine. The interpreter commands for the delaylines were introduced sometime around December 2015 so older versions won't work.

Like before, the frequency is still defined by the middle one of the three testsignal generators, no other changes are necessary. Don't worry about the USB mixer block, it can downconvert as well (e.g. from 2000 to 1495 Hz for an SSB transmitter).

I've also changed the format of "pskln.txt" to one line per symbol ("Save Rows" in ebnaut-tx). For my own transmissions, I've added a final line to set a=0.5 which turns the carrier off.

http://df6nm.bplaced.net/VLF/fec_tests/vlf_tx_pll_fasterpsk.zip (14 kB)

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)