LF: Argo Extensions?

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: Argo Extensions?
From: DK1IS <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 22:33:16 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Alberto,

lots of QRSS operators are successfully using your fine Argo software - so do I. It has been essential for making the LF and MF band accessible to amateur radio. So, first of all, thank you so much for this great piece of work! At Nov 6, 2016 you wrote to Clemens, DL4RAJ:

"I have in my future plans, after I will have finished a couple
of projects that are absorbing all of my time at present, to do an overhaul of
Argo, maybe changing some of its architecture, which dates back to 20 years ago..."

So I think it could be a good moment to ask for possible future extensions of Argo´s features. Could it be practicable to add something like a "notch-function" to the horizontal waterfall display, at its best with an adjustable bandwidth? It should work in front of the ALC function to avoid reduced sensitivity due to strong unwanted signals and should be effective in the non-ALC-modes too. For example: the MF QRSS beacon IQ2MI on 476,180 kHz usually booms in here every evening making it difficult to look at weaker signals within spittig distance to this frequency. In such situations a visual notch would be great! Having an extremly sharp AF notch my Perseus RX does this job rather well (indeed not on its own screen but on the VAC linked Argo screen!) but with many other receivers it isn´t possible due to their notches being much to wide for use at real narrow bandwidths.

Another nice gimmick would be to have an alarm function if a signal appears in a given range of frequencies on the running waterfall - perhaps something like an inversion of the notch function. Most of the usual squelch circuits of the upstream receivers would not do this job at weak signals without blanking the whole screen.

Sorry - it´s not difficult to create ideas but I can´t measure effort nor feasibility for their realization. But perhaps something is possible ...

Thanks for your ever-lasting inspiration,

gl es vy 73 de

Tom, DK1IS
www.qrz.com/db/dk1is