Re: R: Re: LF: Idiot's guide to receiving Ebnaut? - Tutorial part1

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: R: Re: LF: Idiot's guide to receiving Ebnaut? - Tutorial part1
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 12:22:31 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Yes the EbNaut decoder is indeed hungry for memory. I tried it once (and never again) on a little 1 GB Atom netbook - all that happened was that the harddrive light went on and the computer became unoperable until hard reset. I normally use a heavier 8 GB laptop for this purpose, but attempting to decode a stronger code (16K25) immediately froze that machine as well.

Stefan's file with 8K19 ran ok also on a 4 GB tablet, although the little1.83 GHz Celeron N2940 CPU chewed for 35 minutes to go through all phase combinations. The default 30°-step setting finishes when it says "25% complete", the finer 15° steps take four times as long. Fortunately when the frequency is correct and propagation phase was stable, the best decode usually appears already in one of the early constant-phase trials.

73, Markus (DF6NM)