LF: 137kHz rarity

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: 137kHz rarity
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 13:01:45 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
There was some unusual propagation last night on 137kHz.

Opera32 transmissions from IZ7SLZ were received well by M0DSZ or
several hours but were not receive at all by me. Nothing strange
there as M0DSZ has an exceptionally good receiver.

I received R7NT's Op32 several times during the night whilst M0DSZ
received him less often. Again, nothing odd as LF propagation is
often selective.

The really interesting thing was R7NT's SNR was around -40B with most
reporting stations around Europe, and with me most of the time. But
at 0007 he was -19dB, and at 0207 -17dB. Between these peaks, at
2312, 0112 and 0312UTC he was back to around -40.

These were all genuine transmissions reported by several Eu stations
every time, but no-one reported those big peaks which were more than
20dB above the Op32 reception limit.

Big propagation enhanced peaks are commonplace on the HF-SHF bands
but rare on 137kHz. It seems they are also geographically very
selective.

Mike, G3XDV