LF: Re: [rsgb_lf_group] WD2XES WOLF

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: [rsgb_lf_group] WD2XES WOLF
From: John Andrews <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 08:35:02 -0500
References: <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <CACopv_j26FqvC59iADBAZ5z=nrZc5zy2VU_+mfRivSa64ZL9Zg@mail.gmail.com> <CAA8k23RXYatRKdC14q_kik-5FWBjnsJLZ1X_P42ushsw4LbLyA@mail.gmail.com> <CAA8k23TwmQzcCz-3+f4O5eui=h3yc-Y1GRpQLH8U5hLPP-qadQ@mail.gmail.com> <001f01d17455$bcbfe5b0$363fb110$@no> <CAHWLnY6Nhy2o6MRH8m6c3F+VcgMUBtUBJFy4iQOv4ptWbyxmLw@mail.gmail.com> <CAA8k23TLyoC41ROONrakzVcRmstxgg_hbo2G-JWNLSQ0+zDLsA@mail.gmail.com>
Sender: [email protected]
Andy,

We haven't yet investigated the slower speeds available  in /WolfGUI/,
the half and quarter speed options.
Thoughts ?

I spent quite a bit of time with this after DL4YHF provided the slower speed options (not present in the original command-line version). With weak signals, such that correct decoding doesn't start immediately, it seemed that it always took the same amount of time for a decode. For example, at half speed, a correct decode would happen on the 4th line, as opposed to the 8th line at 10bps. This gives less clutter on the screen, but no improvement as a communications medium. However, it's certainly possible that the noise and fading on a long path (such as TA), would give some edge to the slower versions.

Regarding the VE2IQ BPSK stuff: I agree that it's no accident that WOLF uses 10bps. The default in the then-more-active US Lowfer community was 10bps for the various BPSK modes. Straight BPSK worked pretty well, but the build-up of copy version was really neat. Of course, the flywheel effect means (as with WOLF) that you can "see" signals that have faded out or been turned off. If memory serves, the advent of QRSS3 and slower sound-card programs pretty much killed the interest in BPSK. Then Stewart came out with WOLF, and we all bounced back into it again for a while. A bit later, VE2IQ came up with a GPS-locked BPSK version which coincided with the easy availability of HP GPS receivers retired from analog cell sites. That resulted in a bunch of playing around at data rates from 1 to 10bps, but WOLF or QRSS30 always seemed to be "better."

John, W1TAG