LF: MSF Is wrong

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: MSF Is wrong
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:51:05 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to; bh=NRw35WEAt82ANqy0tZSQAjwA4/YBnu7HRgU1ovb9E48=; b=VXtIVllP4N45xtrNZQZaTvjq8OwXRxMa3iMmSBXH4SKxcM6ADQGqLxe2DVyMIEn0YZ nTfavJn7zzedG33Ps/s7KXqvta2tod0/F4dYhXOLwyKJ5/hNYBj7AO38Y/tMi/v1V3hJ xLG1ZuG6fOXMyn/HEmCEdhDoEFBpSSX7oFkVM4FItHYNTyT4oowc15LlLpucvNl3JerS aKSYpI1CnNRAAbTKzGFcEQyeAZrppV8kf+htVK54/ocYrlmBlrpKpvbuvpVso6S6QwNT 0cwEMGIoD22un6qc7WAm7LvPUEeAmtaSZ/Dx/597Z7W4ZXw+D+aeWSoaMsJP6sq9D9YX tUTA==
Sender: [email protected]
Last night, on another Group, G3PLX commented that his measurement of MSF timing showed an error and invited some others to check.

By feeding a GPS 1pps pulse into an SSB receiver on top of the wanted signal, then displaying the resulting output tuned for a 1kHz tone, the timing relationship between the MSF envelope and the UTC mark from GPS can be seen independently of any receiver introduced random delay.  I used my 5061 with its own PPS output offset by 20ms  to trigger the scope to observe and error.   Group delay in the SSB filter is, AFAIR from measurements made many years ago, around 1.6ms

and...   sure enough ...   MSF is approximately 17ms 'fast' which is the figure Peter confirmed.

The two photos show the result looking at  MSF and the DFC77 signal respectively.  Scope display is 5ms per div.   I am 736km from Mainflingen, the DCF77 transmitter, which should result in a 2.45ms delay .  Depending upon how my IC746's  SSB filter treats an impulse,  it looks close enough for govt. work.  So that transmitter is correct.

MSF is clearly "wrong".   At least it's frequency is still spot on - or at least appears to be compared with my 5061A after a mere 1 hour phase check.

Andy  G4JNT