LF: VLF and isolating transformers - More

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: VLF and isolating transformers - More
From: Laurence KL7 L <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 06:40:13 -0900
Sender: [email protected]
Thanks Roelof - Im the same - Ive tried countless revisions of isolations and earth points and probably close to optimum within local site conditions (overhead power to my left about 300ft away)

The large standard 1ohm 1mH 10m sided  VLF loop is the same design we used for VLF research in Antarctica/North Pole on the transglobe expedition back in 79/82, but for the life of me I couldn't recall the transformer details; but having been given a prod by Jim/Edgar/Luis et al  Ive figured out what it was using some of the pictures of the AWESOME receiver and when it gets light Ill try this new winding ratio and thicker primary wire.

We ended up not being able to use the VLF receiver up in the Arctic as we were located in small huts just near the end of the runway at CFS Alert in 81/82 and the runway lighting noise was awful - the VLF array was moved onto fast sea ice but still the noise was too bad for whistlers etc.

Cheers
Laurence