Re: LF: Decca 5501

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Decca 5501
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 16:08:18 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=68kJjOdnKlS6ZLqI32Od599jbTVGLguqPX+0ZV5E0IU=; b=ltTj+zrbsJNIMC03QJy+EUCNIHIGCwmYVKgTd3bee713fOSuK4CJCMLLq8UBlOmlwR JlFe6s2RpgG768vnvooXPZWwxMu91hPr/AcwAEve2O9GYsS0ul7RdSAv4v06MYiGlB5+ gMUllAIdj+dxe7VPrVIfGfvVU5kYnARAlNe5uhDI0xpUGMSKkpILxSdC/W4gxl9tfAbz XcOQxOe+/vewLTvOUZzcRC/XiHh5VF9E1FJ/Nrtem4vLkbr5pEXyphTDhUnEPt1RpSXw SjXI6+HPNfSO5n0KR8XCnWxyiMH5SZihNbZYdU5HHTGlr7KE+KoFQk7LRXemlRFktXGZ yj0A==
Sender: [email protected]
I've knitted together Fig4a  and  4b. the driver circuitry  as http://www.g4jnt.com/DownLoad/Decca5501_Driver.gif

It's not at all clear, and looks a ling winded way of doing things, but I guess that is more to do with component availability in the 1970's

The "on" drive via TR2 comes direct from the squarer IC1a and two gates
The "off" or clamp drive takes the output of the squarer, goes through a delay (R10, C8 and inexplicably D7), another opamp to square things up again and into D1.

It looks as if all that complexity is there to give some dead time between the A side on and B side on periods. That will get passed through to the output devices and prevent current spikes due to unequal switch on / off times.   In which case the various zeners and clamp diodes are there to protect the driver devices themselves from high voltage transients during the dual-off period.

Oh the joys of circuit design in that era when everything had to be done with basic components - instead of an EE lookup table or a DSP chip

Andy  G4JNT