LF: Re: [rsgb_lf_group] Linear Amp for LF

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: [rsgb_lf_group] Linear Amp for LF
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 09:47:39 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=oefu3vowUz5ZZeeCf8TDBLbHnDe1GGfl+8uyOoJaULg=; b=XVOdkeiaW/skPkZmg2gJfFfNBPqiW30NJOYRQZM8Q+aeIC02gF8moSU4hvF0Ikpe5d YRYrzWfYoLqzXHcbTJyo+SCaWdXhxVTxEkKP0t1SIetnnsX9yCiUnq71yQx+E+Tc5+WO +4U7Ghitb3MQ6LO/DR5cojt+U72wpEXLI5NqCNPjfguGd/Zgo4hMsJU2AgbKR2p8k+VK LByyQO79BJZj9+Y0Mde+Ns19T5YWKNAmvc1yv87A6CEDrjGhTKyHszfei9aLXfX/7C+8 QzzucR1YdFWV4K37Klijc2e2pDB3McU+htzjPWglCk1MZ/O8DCTFa35usy88LlmEuqix V/Tg==
Sender: [email protected]
With the re-interest there appears to be in WOLF, and the gradual moving on with processing and data comms technology, it might be time to revisit modes that require a bit of linearity.

Its well known that idPSK and coherent modes in general will offer an immediate 3dB advantage over non-coherent modes.  However, in many practical situatins they are let down by the non linear processing needed to recoder carrier coherency and symbol timing.   So non-coherent - FOR PRACTICAL PURPOSES wins.

Recent tests using EBnaut show just what can be done if the need for carrier / clock recovery are removed (by using ultra stable sources) , so there may be some mileage to be gained by looking again.

The magic point to reach is to make sure the advantages gained by coherency, in terms of S/N and hence transmitted power for any given path, offset the reduced efficiency of a linear PA stage.  Typically  85% (class-E) down to  to 45% (Class AB).   So we really need to make sure our new data modes give us that extra 2 to 3dB.  Which, judging by EBnaut with its simple BPSK mayty be possible.

Once linear amps are in use, then the route to faster data in a given narrow bandwidth opens up - and more scope for espreimentation.

As an aside - I am wondering if a speeded up version of WOLF might work for the higher microwavbe bands.  Say 1000B/s or even faster BPSK with all the processing overhead of WOLF.

Andy  G4JNT