Re: LF: Ferrite Rods For LF Preamplifiers

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Ferrite Rods For LF Preamplifiers
From: John Rabson <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 21:08:11 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=content-type:mime-version:subject:from:in-reply-to:date :content-transfer-encoding:message-id:references:to; bh=CVQhKLS1ksGc7aEMPA/1wZr3kOz7UDkU3/QRhf5yAUk=; b=S0HGZQCXJPYpXeaeia+CBQfEZyWssExIKwIxhrR8E4nmjn7D6/C3H2NvxqBiT0Q8X6 I9QTcgi7WMiZaj+OMHuY6bJqLSrDcIjvDIZ/c9Fk5WVo+FTFFEsuxptx99wUKq1RPYdx RdOF7Mwn3b/De8supjJkuL32g16atHCIkgXwaVGUi10a8YQq1rBhIYhs3WjAUF2yLjBs 9cb+ImUP6urYWV8chHogBoxCTlMGxBCzuNTABLCtA0b1YGq0t92tOEHGnbzV4dFUZVwe Znnc2AbD4nwZqMBer8r2yOg/FKIPQYIIMeRh1aVPU8F2ipeVsWcZibH9gqcNVRicnIFO TThQ==
Sender: [email protected]
I haven’t looked at this sort of configuration recently, but it is worth
perhaps consulting the doctoral thesis of David Gibson, which you can find at
http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/4169/1/uk_bl_ethos_270894.pdf

Chapter 4 contains discussion of antennas, both in air-cored and ferrite-based.
Although it principally deals with subterranean situations you may find it
useful.

John F5VLF G3PAI

> On 03 Nov 2015, at 20:43, LineOne <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Amongst some ferrite rods, I have 3 identical, all with LW & MW windings. I
> could remove the windings and make a fat bundle of the 3 then wind another
> coil for an LF preamplifier to improve on my existing one. Inductors are
> better not to be long and thin I know but what about the magnetic cores such
> as ferrite?
> This makes some sense, but I would rather join the rods in line, retaining a
> litz wire LW winding which will tune with about 470pF, ending up with an 18mm
> PVC tube of about 600mm and a small ABS box in the centre so the whole looks
> like a VHF dipole.
> Has anyone done this?
>
> Yesterday we were enveloped in a very wet, dripping fog and it seemed to
> attenuate my few LF transmissions as nobody received them. UHF TV disappeared
> later in the evening too.
> The antenna is surrounded by about 100 trees which probably doesn't help.
> GW4NOS was on, in S. Wales I think they had a nice, sunny day and G3XIZ also.
>
> Hugh, M0DSZ

[email protected]

Researching history of RABSON, BLACKSHAW, GAUNTLETT, VERLANDER and ROBSONNE