Re: LF: Dual Mode WSPR Beacon running again

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Dual Mode WSPR Beacon running again
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 23:50:55 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Here are some more example plots from last night, June 2 / 3. To be honest, I can't find much confirmation for my earlier statement of WSPR-15 generally showing higher SNR (with the one exception of PA3ABK). I guess the remaining systematic differences may rather have to be attributed to different local QRM levels on the two frequencies.

Best 73,
Markus

Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 10:35 PM

Hi Andy, LF,

attached are examples of SNR plots for WSPR-15 (blue, G8IMR) versus WSPR-2 (red, G4JNT), as extracted from the spot database. Times are hours after midnight last night (ie -2 means 22 UT), amd data points are plotted at the middle of the respective transmission interval.

G3WCB at 181 km consistently showed similar SNR values for both modes, with relatively little scatter. At intermediate ranges around 900 km, DF6NM and LA3EQ experienced a lot more variation, probably caused by deeper fading. Again there's a trend that reports for -15 seem to be a bit higher than for -2, with a few significant exceptions. Finally the most distant station SM2DJK seemed to see less variation and more similar SNR values. In the morning hours, -15 was still decoded there while -2 was not.

Here I was again running two instances from a single WSPR-X installation, which generally worked well, except for a couple of failed database uploads at full and half hours - apparently when both instances try to upload simultaneously only one gets through.

Thanks Andy for setting up this interesting experiment!

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 10:17 PM
Subject: LF: Dual Mode WSPR Beacon running again

Callsigns G4JNT on WSPR2 and G8IMR on WSPR15,
(very) approx  25% duty cycle on each (when long term averaged)
33dBm EIRP

Tnx to G3WCB last night who copied every one on my transmissions, I was able to check out the transmission sequence and check the modelling of the sequence generation. So with the aid of a bit of Basic software I can now predict what the transmission sequence will be for any particular turn on time.

Andy  G4JNT