Re: LF: 477 VK5CV de VK2XGJ Op8 690 mi -17 dB F:8% in Dapto, Austealia w

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: 477 VK5CV de VK2XGJ Op8 690 mi -17 dB F:8% in Dapto, Austealia with 25w
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 19:52:48 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Graham,

> ... note  Phil is also  running  RX  and may  provide  shortly  a secondary , off-air  decode to  provide a  time  stamp.

maybe this is not such a good idea. When the timestamp from a local decode is propagated over the Opera web link, all other active decoders immediately get this info. A sceptic (are we?) could suspect that this might be used by the detectors to correlate their last-received noise against the known message and timeframe, using an arbitrarily low detection threshold - a la "You've heard it too, haven't you? You surely have...". This could make false positives very likely, but no one can tell them from a real one. The Opera program then has four minutes (one on MF) to output such a hit as a delayed dynamic deep search decode. afterwards, the matching timestamps would be used to falsely "verify" a false detection, which had really been provoked by exactly that timestamp.

In my opinion, it would enhance credibility to not propagate local decodes, but let the transmitter only keep a "secret" log of their emissions. This could then be used in an a posteriori comparison against correlation results, which have been created independently without a priori knowledge of transmit times.

All the best,
Markus