LF: Re: Poor conditions

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Poor conditions
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 18:42:00 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Laurence and Roelof, Yes that was a big one on the 17th. I dont remember the Dst being depressed to -230nT for some quite long time. My thumbnail estimate says that it could take at least 14 days and possibly up to 21 days to really get back to to good conditions again. The succession of shocks really loaded up the ring current, and although the Dst has risen to -35nT its rate of increase has flattened out.
Because the CME "snow-ploughed" it way though a coronal hole high speed stream the event produced a large multiple proton event which has died away now, but the PCA effects tend to linger. We are still gettting shocks (Kp 6 yesterday and Kp=5 today) which may be "sub-storms". These occur when ions and electrons trapped in the mageto-tail are "spat back" towards Earth (another glob of plasma is spat in the opposite direction to conserve momentum) The mechanism is much like he release of energy from the strained Solar magnetic field that produced the CME. The trapped hot electrons "wind up" the field in the magneto-tail until it "snaps" into a lower energy state. The lost energy is carried by the ejected particles.

Alan
G3NYK