Re: LF: Activity etc. - DG3LV discussion -One year later

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Activity etc. - DG3LV discussion -One year later
From: Tobias DG3LV <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 00:33:10 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan !
Hi Rik, Steinar, Wolf, MF !

WSQ ... a real alternative to *CW*
An Alternative ? Yes, definitely! A Replacement for CW ? Never meant to be !

The DX capabilities of WSQ are very good, down to -25dB for excellent reading, down to -32dB at QSB. There are not many QSO-modes that work on such low SNR-levels. So this is a QSO(!)-mode for really weak signals, (like my one).

Since Wolf's Version of WSQ (Thank you !) I have been QRV in this mode and -by the time- did a nice bunch of QSOs in this mode. ODX will be IW4DXW at 1004 km. The total number of my QSOs is unknown, it were more than just a dozen.

... as a _permanent used_ QSO data mode
Just recently IW4DXW, IZ7SLZ and IZ7PDX invited to an "evening of WSQ" and made some QSOs. Over the year there were stations calling CQ (and had QSOs) in WSQ. It has NOT vanished, but proved true to be a valuable part in the spectrum of digital modes on MF.

It was also the discussion if it/there will be a real alternative to *CW*.
That is not my point of view! Such discussions make me yawn. Nobody should be afraid at the upcoming of a new mode. CW is NOT challenged by WSQ, for what's sake it should do ?

Nobody seriously wants to "kill" CW, this is just the (unfounded, but repeatedly repeated) fear (phobia?) of some CW-only operators. There is absolutely no cause for another flame-war "CW vs. the rest". Please don't try. It's just boring.

... a _LOT of CW activity_!
It is nice to see that there are more and more stations active in On/Off keying in any mode, hand-made or machine-generated. People should do the modes they like and not follow a "must-do" (or "must-not-do"). Since the establishing of 630m as a standard band for hams in DL the activity has risen from year to year, there are more (and more powerful) stations on the band recently, which is showing the acceptance and technical achievement at this band after just 2 1/2 years. A good proof for amateur radio as an experimental service.

What is the preferred mode?
Hmmmm, a look at WSPRNET.ORG shows a lot of stations on MF in a 10 minute-interval, (at any time of the day).

My alternative QSO-mode on MF was JT9, 34 logged QSOs with 14 calls from 6 DXCC-countries (+ DL). ODX will be IW4DXW in JT9 as well. Maybe I can claim a first-ever JT9 QSO DL-ON and DL-LA on MF.

So, after one year of experience with Wolf's Version of WSQ I am satisfied with this mode and want to thank all who participated in the experiments and helped to evolve this mode.

73 de dg3lv Tobias