Re: LF: Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=089e0149cb50c497b5

To: rsgb_lf_group <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=089e0149cb50c497b5050cfaa45b
From: Warren Ziegler <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 08:54:50 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=qPmd8jsRgHUnYRwCduG4E8vtsIqvgCuaNfaSLqOaU9Y=; b=PDU7WiUNlrQ4C6EZTUOc4GxtPVCa7+aLrYgf55kUTb/2tABTzVgIgDDZPWGHCrHWV/ +Q2qcZzM70qd6jN21rhYqVLm+Nj8bntyi9J6kk6BuOvcgZQl4cLaQxXf/E/0RJ1VHuvy dVU46cRPabx0Kb3h2gg58H/nLOHa49nvOo0DMfwB9HotryphzQUyGAcJhqDIByxK920i u42J5TNyERVbR0ChD0a7wFQQH3niI/cH4SRPGYiVR5hoGy1cujjr5dmQDWB4s0/LCiyr uvdv5zMtH/lp9AKXQz8pzWc/vJZYj7Kh3VVcmc3DU7iulafRrEVFuXCX1S2HwjSHpDah cCpg==
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Jean and welcome!
    Many questions but I have time only for a short note.
There is not much activity on 160-190kHz in the Pacific Northwest that
I am aware of.
However you should be able to receive U.S. experimental and Canadian
amateur stations on 137 and 475 kHz.
You will likely need a dedicated LF receive aerial and you may need to
modify your HF receiver or add a pre-amplifier. Primary modes being
used are QRSS, WSPR, and regular CW, WSPR and QRSS are sound card
modes which is similar in operation to the modes you use on HF.
Many resources on the web:
http://qsl.net/on7yd/136khz_main.htm
http://www.wireless.org.uk/
http://lwca.org/
http://www.lowfer.us/k0lr/index.htm

   While there are no U.S. amateur allocations below 1.8MHz, many hams
have taken out Experimental Licenses.
The rules are completely different than the amateur service, no set
frequencies, modes or powers, you have to request and justify what you
want to use and if the FCC buys your argument and it doesn't conflict
with other users they will grant you a license. Play around on the FCC
Experimental license web site, go to:
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/CallsignSearch.cfm
and plug in some calls like WD2XES, WD2XNS, WH2XIL, WE2XGR etc and
look at the applications and attachments.

Hope this is a good start.

73 Warren K2ORS/WH2XIL

--
73 Warren K2ORS