LF: New opera version problem

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: New opera version problem
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 12:31:43 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
There was a problem with Opera32 decodes on 136kHz last night
(presumably by those using the new version). Several decodes appeared
with a fading percentage of "200%", whatever that means. These were
all reported some 4 or 5 minutes after those of us using old
versions. This is a strange' but is not the big problem.

There were several false decodes this morning, including two of my
transmission many hours after I stopped sending. These are also
identified with a "200%" fade figure. One characteristic of Opera, up
to now, is that false decodes are obvious in that the callsigns are
random. However, false decodes showing real stations suggests that
Opera is trying to work a bit like OPDS and keeping a database of
valid callsigns. Unlike OPDS, however, It appears to gather recently
active calls (or paths).

This level of apparently real, but false, decodes makes the system
useless, unfortunately, because reports from those using the new
version can no longer be trusted. That is a pity because it was a
good night for DX with many real decodes in excess of 2000km, and
VO1NA reported in Europe.

Mike, G3XDV