Re: LF: ELF communications ?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: ELF communications ?
From: DK1IS <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 12:15:17 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan,

interesting stuff! Keep in mind these oil burner ignition transformers are designed to feed a spark with high ignition but low burning voltage - nearly short circuit. So they have a large stray inductance and resistance and a current limiting characteristc. Furthermore they are only suitable for intermittend service (33% within 3 minutes as you see from the label) and the middle of the secondary is usually connected to the case. I used 6 of them in parallel for feeding a tesla-transformer built by students during my former job at FH Amberg. But you shold try it anyway.

Nice your high power capacitor battery - reminds me to an own project during my promotion at TU Braunschweig in the 70s of last century ;-). Our institute made R+D on arcs and sparks and built a synthetic switch testing facility for medium voltage vacuum switches. Before breaking an LC circuit made a current of 50 kA for two halfwaves of 50 Hz and after breaking there was a recovering voltage abot 60 kV at some kHz. Dont know the components data anymore but there was a lot of stored energy and we had to develop special fuses for each capacitor to avoid explosions in case of a component failure. At that time I devloped the central electronic control unit for the whole testing site - some severe emc problems had to be solved successfully! Later on the had a lot of trouble substituting all those large PCB filled capacitors ...  Verdammt lang her, verdammt lang her!

Wishing you good results with your test!

73,
Tom, DK1IS
www.qrz.com/db/dk1is