LF: KH6 and VE6 MF Ops

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: KH6 and VE6 MF Ops
From: Laurence KL7 L <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 14:24:59 -0800
Sender: [email protected]

Thanks for the all the WSPR signals over the past couple of weeks from KH6, VE6 South and VE6 North.

Here (hopefully) is a picture of the temp antennae set up just South of Ft Macmurray Alberta I was using over the past few days - a fishing rod pushed out of the window and just above flat roof height - L400b  Eprobe grounded to outer skin of the building meant for low QRM. The next morning there was 4 inches of snow on the ground. Signals from XXM XIQ in Texas/OK,  XGP, /20 and VE7 BDQ seen

http://kl7l.com/SRR.jpg

Last weeks ops from the SE side of Maui were very interesting and just shows you how tall topographic features with dubious ground can knock off low and mid angle iono reflections at MF if you happen to be on the "wrong" side of a Volcanic Island

The shot is looking East and shows the summit of the Volcano at some 10000ft (my look angle some 15-20deg elevation) in the direct path of XXM and XIQ who I didn't decode.

XSH/20, XGP and BDQ (over 4000Kms) skirted the side of the mountain at some 3500ft, and signals were lower but at least I decoded. Compare that to Mervs location on Molakai which looks like its going to be superb cross Pacific and has Eu and Asia Pac potential too. Merv  in Hawaii was decoding XXM and XIQ WSPR2 signals at good strength over many hours over a path of around 6100Kms :-))

http://kl7l.com/makena.jpg

Ill hopefully be up on data, visual and turn the speaker up for aural sigs. Conditions haven't been too bright over the last couple of days just here and Im seeing a lot of spread on HF signals coming over the pole on HF this early morning. Fingers crossed - well done on the SV>JA path :-)

regards

Laurence KL7L  WE2XPQ
Snowy Alaska