LF: OH1AH/LH report and comments

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: OH1AH/LH report and comments
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:10:23 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hello, LF

I'm back after the trip to Utö and other vacation travelling.

First our thanks to all that participated in the band activity or sent reports. Our apologies to those that tried hard but that we could not complete a QSO with.

We prepared the SW / MF station on friday and had the MF beacon up and running in the afternoon. Last year we were plagued with lots of man-made noise on MF so I spent some time tesing out what readily available antenna groundings could be used and what to avoid. We ended up using mostly own radials and a few old NDB radials were also extended to reach the old NDB antenna foundation. This came at a price, our total antenna impedance ended up being 50 ohms instead of earlier 35 ohms, but daytime reception showed a substantial reception improvement. Hopes were high to hear better this year...

But no, in the early evenings as air temeratures dropped a bit, cumulunimbus started forming over the warm Baltic sea and as propagation started the band already sounded like paper being ripped with the S-meter mostly pegged at S9. Signals were clearly heard but were very hard to copy. At some point after local midnight my ears and brain simply gave up and there was no other CW operator to step up and try to continue for a while more. Due to late cancellations we only had two operators to run the whole SW / MF operation.

It is interesting to note that the beacon was heard on sky-wave well before there was any sign of useful signal levels at our end. The beacon was primarily intended for generating some ground wave reports by NDB:ers and also other hams with "talkback" on 80m. Last but not least to honor the NDB "UÖ" that once radiated it's signal from the very same spot. 472,5 kHz was chosen for both modes as antenna re-tuning was pretty tricky with a large variometer doing all the loading, a vernier reduction gear is in planning for future operations.

I will upload a few new pictures from this year to the finnish utility-forum later on. A link to the forum thread will then be provided here.

Please QSP to Yahoo LF and NDB groups.

On behalf of OH1AH

Paul-Henrik, OH1LSQ