LF: SAQ

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: SAQ
From: Laurence KL7 L <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 09:39:00 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
I didnt manage to stay awake for the second transmission, but overall conditions were not as good as Christmas and definitely poorer than the same period last year over the Pole - QRN was way up from thunderstorms in Central Alaska and general levels were lower over the pole by some 15-20dB - JXN was down too from "normal" so we were getting some additional attenuation

 I was struggling to read much with the 100Hz filter in but did get a full VVV de SAQ so he was a "5" for at least a few secs but overall probably a " 1 or 2" readability wise with my ears

System is the same as previous - L400 Probe at 35ft up a VLF selected Birch tree, Speclab, Audiocity and Olympus VN900 recorder which is being pushed a little -  I did find the noiseblanker settings critical to hearing anything - too low or too high a trigger setting produced poorer results - The Goldilocks setting for me was 25dB but it was much noiser than "normal" here in Alaska. Nice tuning carrier at around 0907Z at the end of the message -   The distance between Varberg and here is around 4170 miles

http://kl7l.com/saqjun14.mp3

http://kl7l.com/saqtunejune14.jpeg

ps the 600m Field day  CW message event continues over this side of the Lake (Im on the Pacific side) - WE2XPQ, one of the many transmitting is on CW 472kHz @ 250W for another 12 hours or so

thanks for the all comparative reports -

Regards Laurence KL7L Palmer Wasilla Alaska