Re: VLF: Coherent BPSK at 8270 from DF6NM

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: Coherent BPSK at 8270 from DF6NM
From: Paul Nicholson <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 17:12:04 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
I completed some trials with rate 1/8 K=25 and it works very
well indeed.  I use 15 second symbols and a near-field source
set to the give same flux density at the rx as the signal from
DF6NM.  The results are considerably better than 1/4 K=21 and
I look forward to trying the stronger code over a long distance.

The signal also decodes with 10 second symbols but is marginal,
ranking a few hundred down the Viterbi list and tolerant of
only about 20 degrees of phase error.  Nevertheless the code
was able to correct 213 errors in 560 symbols.

I tried to find a better set of polynomials for K=25 but
without success.  It becomes exponentially more difficult as
K increases.  To illustrate, I set 128 CPU cores to search for
polynomials and let them run for 36 hours.  They turned up a
couple of thousand possible codes and a further 16 cores tested
these.  None produced a better distance spectrum than my existing
top performer although one came close.

Now I am motivated to test rate 1/16 and have started a search
for K=21 and K=25 codes.   K=21 is a practical decode limit for
domestic computers and K=25 is the limit with AWS EC2
32 core VMs.   Decode time is around 10 seconds but it takes
5 mins or so to search for the phase if the signal phase is
steady, and maybe 40 mins to an hour if there is significant
Doppler.   I guess that's not unreasonable for a message that
takes a few hours to send.

Ready in a day or two for more far-field tests.

--
Paul Nicholson