LF: Re: EWE antenna

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: EWE antenna
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 17:12:21 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Edgar, LF,

both Hartmut and Jean-Pierre are using K9AY receive antennas with a cardioid pattern pointing northwest, and their captures of transatlantic LF stations from America have been superior to anyone else in mainland Europe by a long shot (probably 10 dB in SNR). I think this is mostly due to the fact that they can suppress QRN from the southeast and Mediterranean sea, which is the dominant lightning area and QRN source during our winters.

Several times I have attempted to improve my reception by adding a signal from the garden loop pair to that of the E-field antenna. Using an indoor goniometer (made of two orthogonal coils around the outside of a ferrite ring), I was able to make a virtually rotatable loop, which could produce a good null to south-easterly QRN and QRM (eg. HGA22). During noisy nights, the improvement from the QRN reduction was quite significant. However unfortunately this didn't not hold under quiet conditions. Compared to the vertical, the noise floor from my loops is about 10 dB higher due to coupling to adjacent underground ADSL and power lines. This means that adding in the magnetic contribution often makes things worse rather than better.

As Richard VK7RO has pointed out, the advantage of directivity may not be quite the same for your location in Tasmania: If thunderstorms are over the Tasman sea / New Zealand, a cardioid antenna pointing towards Europe should have a large benefit. If QRN is coming from the side (Australian East coast), a classic magnetic loop may be better. And if the noise direction is coinciding with the signal (Northwest), there's little you can improve using antenna directivity.

If I understand you right, you're saying that in Orford the resonated magnetic loop is not as good as the vertical probe, and the resistively loaded cardioid is even worse? I'd like to understand why that is so. Could it be that three is also noise predominantly magnetic from the vicinity (eg. power supplies, telephone or power lines)? You might want to try a comparison measurement of daytime noise floor, with the other end of the EWE shorted (ie closed loop, acting solely as magnetic antenna) versus open (top wire acting as electric antenna).

In my understanding, the flag, EWE and K9AY antennas are all working on the same basic principle, ie superposition of an omnidirectional pattern from a vertical electric antenna, and a figure-eight pattern from a loop with a positive and a negative lobe. This is indeed exactly identical to the operation of a properly terminated directional coupler, using simultneous capacitive and inductive coupling to a TEM line. In that sense, the top wire of an EWE is not simply a feeder to the remote vertical leg, but both an electrical topload and integral part of the magnetic loop.

On the other hand, you can think about a closed magnetic loop as two separate pairs of conductors, one vertical pair spaced horizontally, and one horizontal pair spaced vertically. Witrhin each pair there are opposed currents, acting as a gradiometer for electric fields. The vertical legs produce vertically polarized groundwave radiation, with the desired sine (figure-eight) pattern in the horizontal plane. The horizontal wires radiate predominantly upwards, which usually does not contribute to DX reception in a useful manner. So yes, you could do away with the horizontal conductor, leaving only two verticals with antiphase currents - very much the same way that an Adcock pair was used to minimize "night-effect" direction-finding errors from steep skywave. The only disadvantage would be that the antiphase monopoles have a large capacitive impedance, which limits the achievable radiation efficiency to an order of magnitude below that of a same-size closed loop. But given sufficient size and spacing between the vertical elements, and the possibility to use a low-noise preamp, this will matter little in a receive application.

So we have seen that a loop can be replaced by two electric monopoles driven in antiphase. Obwiously we can also (and even at the same time) drive them in phase, letting them act essentially as a (relatively efficient) single omnidirectional vertical. To then produce a cardioid, the omni- and gradiometer- farfield components will have to be made equally strong. This implies that the antiphase vertical currents (eg. 1 A, -1 A) would have to be larger and in quadrature to the inphase currents (+0.1j A, +0.1j A). In other words, the two vertical currents have to be almost but not exactly in antiphase. This picture naturally connects to the "quasioptical" view of a short two-element Yagi, where the back lobe cancellation is caused by 180deg+phi phase from the driven currents, augmented by - phi from the propagation delay difference.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)