Re: LF: Cleaning up DCF77 junk around 74.55 kHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Cleaning up DCF77 junk around 74.55 kHz
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 10:51:43 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Bob,

thanks for the feedback. At this stage, the cancellation procedure is no more than a proof-of-principle, done in postprocesseng on recorded audio. The purpose was more to check if my theory about the cause of the interference is valid. I can generate a visual spectrogram, but it won't be easy to extend that to a quasi-realtime software plugin which could feed WSPR, Opera or opds. Guess it might be suited for implementation as an FFT filter plugin for SpecLab, but I'd need a crash course in DLL programming before I'd be able to do such a thing ;-)

I'm also not sure how much DCF77 is currently affecting others. Spectrograms from Henny and Hartmut have occasionally contained some similar interference but at much lower level. On the other hand, if someone located closer to Frankfurt (eg. Stefan or Marco) would attempt to receive on 74 kHz, they would certainly suffer more than I do.

Well once the wind calms (may be Saturday night) I can put my antenna back up and listen again. I'd be very interested to look for visual signals from you and Dex one of these nights. Preferably even slower than QRSS-60, say QRSS-120 or DFCW-180.

On the other hand, I can set up either opds-32 or -64 (whichever speed you prefer), or WSPR on 74.55 kHz. However these would not benefit from the DCF noise cancellation.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)

PS On 137kHz, last night WE2XEB produced a couple of opds detections here, despite the low and noisy "summer" receive antenna. Thanks for the effort to produce such a good signal!