RE: LF: 74550

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: 74550
From: Bob Raide <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 14:56:10 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Markus;
Glad to hear your results-just one of those nights but I noticed some decent captures that have not shown before.
Tonight will be interesting-Bob

From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 20:40:42 +0100
Subject: LF: 74550

Hi Bob, all,

yes I noticed the QSB last night - perhaps a bit unfortunate that I had opted for slower speed just then.

On the other hand, I managed to catch several characters this time. Pretty much the best here ever since you've started, even without postprocessing. The longer dots have certainly helped. Last night's results have been uploaded to the usual folder
 df6nm.bplaced.net/LF/74kHz/

The effect of DCF noise cancellation can be seen in
 df6nm.bplaced.net/LF/74kHz/DCF77_PRN_cancellation/sp_both_131207-08.png
(also currently still shown on the 74kHz upload). Scales are 7.63 mHz and 60.5 seconds per pixel (50% overlap), and 20 dB brightness range. The top half is the raw spectrogram, the bottom after noise cancellation. The gap around Bob's frequency appears to have been one of the clearer parts in the first place, so the benefit from processing is not very conspicuous there. For anyone interested in the algorithm, there's also a pdf printout of the MathCad script:
 df6nm.bplaced.net/LF/74kHz/DCF77_PRN_cancellation/DCF2f.pdf

Between 22 and 7 UT, many parts from the XRS4 transmissions were readable. Traces from Dex also became visible on 74548.5 Hz, between 2 and 3 UT. Compared to former captures, this is a very satisfying result for me.

For the night to come, I'm set up for monitoring opds-64 in a 4 Hz slot around 74.55 kHz, and will be uploading screenshots and possible detections to the usual opds grabber http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26404526/opds.htm
In case others want to try: SpecLab FFT settings can be similar to opds-32 but more decimation is needed for half bandwidth (0.238 mHz). In opds.ini, center frequency and decimation should be edited: fc=74550, dec=50331648 .

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)