LF: OT: Failed Windows update hogs CPU

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: OT: Failed Windows update hogs CPU
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 21:20:19 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
sorry if this is off topic: When I came home Tuesday night I found my grabber-notebook very slow, with the fan going at full throttle. Task-manager showed an "svchost" instance hogging all of the CPU. A bit of Google search indicated that the Windows update service may be the culprit, which indeed turned out to be the case. I attempted a couple of published fixes without permanent success. In the end the only way to revert to normal operation seemed to be to disable updates alltogether, and reboot.

Yesterday night, the very same thing happened to my "other" netbook which is nowadays used for Op-8, WSPR, 74 kHz, transmitting, and emails. Both machines have been running fine so far with WinXP (SP3), IE 6 browsers, and all past updates.

I am wondering whether anyone else in the group has suffered from this recently, and perhaps found a cure allowing to re-enable Windows updates.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)