LF: Re: LF propagation

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: LF propagation
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:34:43 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1371494192; bh=7STGnll2YrqtezG5JIREpOK4pcDWGKyKwfeWpCkMAuY=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-Rocket-Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=nK9FtSN18BGA8q/xfbeGcooaZO7IPQFKTvb56A8GHawoJ8Bk2R8teGIcK0h1MnB6VtIMLHSQU+Ddi48+zl2QN8m1Kuw+xVdNEeRAviJQlgWtfUrYVyNE1AwYqZgG09jTG+32pD0C2lqWk/i+EAnEVmCTiO3t5fkTxICD+NnSoaI=
Sender: [email protected]

I think you have be carefull interpreting this paper....the term "LF" would seem to refer to low HF though my German is not good enough to understand it fully. The ionospheric effects at these higher frequencies are completely different to what happens below 500kHz

There are so called "focussing" effects and effects due to ionospheric "tilt".....but there also other effects at LF. It is easy to be led astray relying perhaps only on amateur transmissions. I recollect over long periods the best times at 136kHz were either just after sunset, or just before dawn ....few good periods seemed to happen around dark period at the receive site (03:00 local time) Modern beacons and auto logging could definitely add to knowledge in this area. However there are also questions......nothing will be received if the transmitter has stopped transmitting, but it will look like poor propagation.

Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stefan Schäfer" <[email protected]>