LF: Re: ELF antenna ERP calculations - request for resend of information

To: <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: ELF antenna ERP calculations - request for resend of information
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 13:15:38 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Roger,

attached beneath are a couple of mails on the subject which I had posted on blacksheep in 2010. Here's a summary of the formulas:

- An earth antenna forms a magnetic loop antenna between the wire and the subsurface return currents:
 Aearth = length * effective depth = length * skin depth in ground / sqrt(2).
Thus the depth scales inversely with the squareroots of frequency and ground conductivity, and is usually a few tens of meters at VLF. Somewhat surprisingly, this still holds true if the wire length is much shorter than the ground skin depth.

- The radiation resistance of the loop is
 Rrad = 31171 ohm * area^2 / lambda^4,
allowing you to calculate the radiated power in the main lobes as
 EMRP = current^2 * Rrad

- The effective area of the earth antenna can be measured simply by comparing the received voltage from a distant transmitter to that from a small nonresonant wire loop:
 Uearth / Uloop = Aearth / Aloop
Alternatively, using a signal of known fieldstrength E, the loop area can be calculated by
  Uearth = E * Aearth / (lambda / 2pi)
If the loop antenna is not optimally aligned with the wire towards the other station, a cosine directivity factor should be taken into account.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2013 6:15 PM

Some months ago - time flies, so it may have been last year - someone kindly sent me a copy of a paper, or at least a formula, to work out the radiated power (as opposed to other forms of signal transmission) from an earth-electrode pair "antenna" at ELF. I think it was based on some of the Project Sanguine work at 76Hz back in the 1970s. I thought I'd saved this, but cannot locate it anywhere.

If you remember sending me this data, please would you resend it?

Thanks.

73s
Roger G3XBM
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 7:22 PM
Subject: Re: LF: Earth loop depth

Dear LF,

I recently discovered that I had a misconception regarding the effective area of an earth antenna, which may be interesting to other experimenters as well. It seems that short earth antennas are much more efficient than I had intuitively anticipated.

For small electrode spacing, most of the current returns through the ground in the vicinity of the wire. My understanding was that the effective loop area would then look similar to the a half-circle beneath the baseline, as depicted by the red area in the sketch. This means that for small baselines, effective loop area would scale quadratically with baseline length. This would hold until the baseline is made so long that penetration becomes limited by skin effect in the ground, and one enters a regime of linear scaling of area vs length.

Then I tried to calculate the magnetic moment for the non-skin effect case based on DC current densities in homogeneous halfspace. The current field is similar to the electrical nearfield of a dipole. Integrating depth-weighted current densities over the halfspace volume should then give the total magnetic moment. But this integral did not converge to an asymptotic limit, but appeared to grow monotonically with integration volume. This implies an infinite effective depth of a DC ground loop!

At first I looked for an error in the integral calculations, but then I noticed that the divergence can be explained by a simple scaling argument along the following lines. At a distance r from the dipole (current Iq times length l), current density J in the ground scales as
 J(r) ~ Iq l r^-3.
A large half-shell (green) around the dipole has a perimeter pi r around its equator, so there the total current would be
 I(r) ~ Iq l r^-2 dr
The contribution to the magnetic moment of the shell is proportional to its broadside area A ~ r^2, which gives
 dM(r) = I A ~ Iq l dr ~ constant.
This means that each additional shell will add the same amount of magnetic moment, and the total moment would indeed grow to infinity if r is not bounded by skin effect. Even though the outer fieldlines (blue) carry only a small part of the current, due to their large cross section they still contribute significantly to the loop area.

This reasoning also falls in line with a much easier analysis for the receive case. Vertically polarized groundwaves have transverse magnetic fields, which must be bounded by radial ground currents (ie in the direction of wave propagation). The finite surface resistance of the ground creates an additional radial electric field, which can simply be tapped  by the electrode baseline. The induced voltage (and thus effective loop area) will depend linearly on the baseline length, no matter how short it is. Solving the equations for equivalent depth is straightforward and gives
 d_eff = (omega mu0 conductivity)^-0.5 = skindepth / sqrt(2) .

For a crude experimental test, I took a battery operated notebook to the garden, stuck the two leads of the soundcard input into the soil, and measured the induced voltage from the DHO signal. When going from 1.5 m to 3 m electrode spacing, it went up by 6 dB (and not 12 dB), showing that pickup area scaled linearly and not quadratically with baseline.

Kind regards,
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 7:07 PM
Subject: Re: LF: ERP calculation (revised)

Dear Roger,

thanks for sharing your results!

The directional dependence should be a simple cosine law, so going from 45° to 0° would give you another 3 dB, or 3.8 uW ERP. Thus your total radiated power was 2.0 uW (EMRP). At 62 km, this gives -14 dBuV/m, which should indeed be well readable in QRSS 3 under quiet conditions.

Taking a loss resistance of 60 ohms, 4 watts would have given you an antenna current of 0.26 A. The radiation resistance is then
 Rrad = EMRP / Iq^2 = 30 microohms.
A standard formula for loops is
 Rrad = 31171 ohm * A^2 / lambda^4,
resulting in an effective loop area
 A = 155m^2.
Note this is using the radiation resistance for a loop in free space, as the effect of ground is already included in the earth antenna picture. For an above-ground loop with a mirror image beneath it, radiation resistance would be doubled.

Best wishes,
Markus (DF6NM)