LF: Linux "Experts" - slightly OT

To: "LF Group" <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Linux "Experts" - slightly OT
From: "Gary - G4WGT" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 14:31:40 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi,

Another slightly off topic from me.

I have installed Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit Linux on my laptop rather than purchasing a Windows 64 bit O/S at great expense.

The installation is running very well but my first major stumbling block has occurred & my experience with Linux is limited although learning quickly.

I have installed Fldigi very easily from the Ubuntu software repository & runs OK connected to my Yeasu FT-847 via an external USB sound card which works OK in Rx & Tx (for tones output).

The PTT connection is (should be) via a Prolific PL2303 USB/RS232 adapter ( which is OK on Windows 7 & XP). On the Fldigi PTT set up it does not show on the list & internet research tells me that this Linux version will auto-detect & install the driver.

This I presume it to have done & I am reasonably sure of this because when I scan for a printer the the FT-847 goes to Tx mode momentarily during the scan & an info window indicates "USB serial port #1".

Unfortunately I cannot find access to the connection for use with Fldigi & eventually other communications programs I intend to install & use.

In the Fldigi "Hardware PTT" settings I see a list of "/dev/ttyS0" to "/dev/tty/S31" & "/dev/tty/USB0" but non of these switches the PTT.

Please can anyone help ?

73, Gary - G4WGT.