Re: LF: Best results so far from Germany to Tasmania - Opera correlation

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Best results so far from Germany to Tasmania - Opera correlation?
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 04:25:46 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: [email protected]
Graham,

for a phase-coherent Op-32 transmission, the limit for correlation detection is about 21 dB continuous-carrier SNR in 0.5 mHz. This would scale to 7.5 dB in Edgar's noise bandwidth (11 mHz). Assuming he actually got about 12 dB (best half-hour average), there would be about 4 dB margin. But we wouldn't then claim that as a "first positive ID", as Stefan's callsign has already been pretty much perfectly readable in DFCW.

The preliminary Opera deep search version that Chris and I are currently running can be found on
 df6nm.bplaced.net/opera/opds2h4.zip
It is using data export from a dedicated SpecLab instance. The software seems to be running stable so far, but it will definitely require a couple more bugfixes and some explanations before it can be considered fit for general use.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)