LF: XPQ offair and Auroral stuff

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: XPQ offair and Auroral stuff
From: Laurence KL1 X <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 12:46:48 -0900
Sender: [email protected]
XPQ Alaska went off air at 1700Z after a 72 hour run; the QTX 100W did great at the high duty cycle. No decodes at OP8 but I was on a odd dial freq and Auroral activity probably precluded long haul.

thanks for looking.

Interesting looking at the 50 mile mark during the day the odd 30 sec or so increase of signal by up to 3dB , with a rise time of less than 10 secs -  but no loss equivalent reduce if it was a phase cancel/add issue.  K was over 5 at times so probably some Auroral "D ish" stuff too.

I recall a project I was on in Antarctica some 35 years ago looking at daytime D layer scintillation using around 1600kHz during Geo stormy or "holy" activity so I need to reread what we were doing.... :-) Dr. Piggott was leading the charge from memory. Lots of Heathkit gear with an early Synth..

I may be up again later but will advise

Laurence KL1X  WE2 XPQ
Wasilla Alaska