R: LF: Was Considerations about wide DX experiments - how slow should w

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: R: LF: Was Considerations about wide DX experiments - how slow should we go?
From: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:30:42 +0100 (CET)
Sender: [email protected]
On the theory hornets cannot fly..
Let's dream again Stefan!
73, Marco IK1HSS

----Messaggio originale----
Da: [email protected]
Data: 12-feb-2013 4.27
A: "[email protected]"<[email protected]>
Ogg: LF: Was  Considerations about wide DX experiments - how slow
should we go?

I would agree Alan that on the longer hauls I still see a more rapid
fade pattern but not the couple of mins typical of the shorter hop
stuff - - I sort of got used to "20 mins" for 137Khz on the Transpolar
and Trans Siberian paths into China from Eu, but it was a little more
than "5 mins" at 500Khz - that sort of aligns on what I saw at sea on
the Antarctic/South Atlantic paths on 500 back to Portishead path back
long long ago, and what I have heard from here and Fiji into Oz and NZ
- but I also recall the fades became more vertical and shorter during
the more disturbed periods - again this way very dependant on the path
profile and where it and what it crossed on the Rhum line geomag and
whether it was North/South East West - again cutting across the "lines"
was far more problematic.   I still scratch my head to see the MUF map
of the world and how it looks more like a complicated barometric
pressure map with depressions and High pressure areas :-)  What I would
do is not to discount the long periods out of hand at 500 - I have a
tingly feeling that dot 30 is as slow as I would go but Ive been proved
wrong countless times :-) What I do know is to date that bar Japan to
Alaska (apart from Canada/USA) no signals have reached the levels that
my old CW ears could decode, and truthfully I dont think they would
ever get to that level at our ERP levels and lack of the salty stuff.
Mind you I would love to set up an MF station here on Maui - Ive
already picked my spot and the tower I would steal (Junction of
Lahaina/Kihei road at South Kihei).  Im trying to twist a certain arm
to install MF on our expedition ship, but we dont have a lot of space
for the normal type of array Im used to. We will see Laurence KL
1X/KH62AZT
 > From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 01:09:31 +0000
> Subject: LF: Re: Considerations about wide DX experiments on 630m and
tonites QRSS-60

> Hi Stefan I think that maybe the right approach. I think you may find
that
> the "perceived wisdom" on fading rate v QRSS speed is based on
relatively
> short paths. I suspect it may well be very different at real DX
range, that
> is several hops.......>6000km. There obviously is some sort of a
problem
> because the wavelength is much shorter than 136kHz so the phase
changes more
> rapidly with ionisation and "apparent refection height" but you need
two
> "modes" of nearly equal strength to get extinction. This may not be
so
> prevalent at long ranges on 470kHz. The experiment will be very
interesting
> if you can start to leave traces on distant grabbers.
>
> Alan
> G3NYK
com>;
> "Garry and Linda Hess" <[email protected]>; "Douglas D. Williams"
> <[email protected]>; "Andy - KU4XR" <[email protected]>; "Edgar J
Twining"
> <[email protected]>
> Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 10:57 PM
> Subject: LF: Considerations about wide DX experiments on 630m and
tonites
> QRSS-60
>

> > MF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)
> >
> > Edgar in Tasmania was recently asking if i have some plans about
DX
> > experiments on 630m. Well that is a path of > 16000 km. However we
do not
> > have real experience if that is easier than 2200m or rather
impossible.

> > At least i know that there was not even a single decode by UA0SNV
in my MF
> > WSPR and QRSS tests so far, while it is no problem on LF (OK my MF
signal
> > is weaker than my LF signal). Thus i would guess that it is much
harder to
> > get some traces of a signal on 630m. We will try anyway!
> >
> > I'm starting to run a QRSS-60 transmission on 476.172 kHz (+- a few
Hz)
> > for the night. Maybe someone across the pond will catch something.
We, or