LF: Thank you for the 137.766kHz reports - more welcomed!

To: [email protected], "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Thank you for the 137.766kHz reports - more welcomed!
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 19:03:17 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:x-received:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=hiZtlfD2IiBr86u++weirGOTicO62E+gEjSSy2svdjs=; b=am6+1x7j7H0Ux4PidgOHktGdeKr6MyYg0tAYr9nTqMOwe2UR8jiAYccu8vMfrOdERt l0BjUYGuD3QZuJWTywGmZkOw3QP34hJzO2SxEFLtuhKIGgHixcRA8ZGRkud0tnX6v+W3 IMHcHv//quXz0q/NqnrHYR5AqxvvdsVXImsObN4YmkbKsxnpTvpPNVZwsHGUXQs0VVio x3TbFwUaQNzAfhgJnU4vpRvFHg5kK++bAfcZswNMFYo04cpazeWAO0tK6NOgLjQgjJSv sx4UDyLMhHyeoJQ9xGZVvbxQbpNMswoGFtqjtvwTcPoW15bUe/VOZ8izxUT7u0KtNQhl fG1A==
Sender: [email protected]
Today I received reports from G4FEV (56.7km) and G3XDV (61km) of my QRPp QRSS3 beacon on 137.766kHz. Signals were actually quite reasonable levels and G4FEV was able to receive me still with 16dB attenuation on the RX input.

This afternoon I "tried" to do some local field strength measurements (out to 21.5km from the QTH), but when comparing the level of DCF39 (as a reference signal - assumed to be 1mV/m?) and my own weaker signal I forgot to turn off the AGC, so the measured difference was much lower than it really was and the result meaningless.  I measured around 28-33dB difference, but G4FEV measured more like 70-80dB. Based on Dave's figures, this puts my ERP in the low uW level from my 8W beacon and 20m spaced earth electrodes. I will try to do the measurement properly over the weekend.

Using the data from Mike and Dave, I believe it is not unreasonable to say that the ground wave range of this QRPp QRSS3 beacon is probably around 100km in the better directions, not bad considering there is NO matching at all into the earth rods and NOTHING is above the level of the grass and the whole beacon is in a tiny plastic box.

The beacon will be left running for several more days and over the weekend and I would be delighted to get more reports.

Whilst Stefan and others get excited about reaching South America, I am thrilled to bits to get reports at 50-60km! Just proves there is more than one way to have fun at LF and MF.

Incidentally, Alan, can you confirm that 1mV/m is a reasonable field strength assumption for DCF39 in East Anglia?

73s and thanks to G3XDV, G4FEV, G8ALS and G3ZJO for reports so far.
Keep them coming in so I get a better picture how this earth-electrode antenna performs.

Roger G3XBM