LF: SpecLab file buffers

To: <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: SpecLab file buffers
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 21:07:02 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
This weekend my faithful "grabber-PC", a nine year old Pentium-M notebook refused to boot, which turned out to be due to a faulty SO DIMM RAM extension board. Trying to run four or five SpecLab instances with the original 512 MB ram led to very sluggish behavior, and redrawing a window or even daring to start a browser sent the harddisk into nigh endless swapping nirwana.

The cause was that I had configured SpecLab with very large ram buffers, containing enough spectrogram lines to refresh the whole width of each window. After startup, these buffers are gradually growing larger and larger. Looking again into the spectrum buffer configuration, I went for the option to set up a large file buffer on disk. This turned out to be much more efficient than ram plus swapping, and is really a key to running SpecLab with limited memory. In addition there is the very welcome benefit that the contents of slow spectrograms are preserved when exiting and restarting the program.

This is probably not all new information but perhaps useful to some, so I thought I would post it here as a hint. Please note that the buffer size shown in the screenshot (16 MB for a 4096 FFT) is peculiar to my colour-DF display, a normal magnitude-only spectrogram should probably require only half of that.

Thanks once more to Wolf DL4YHF for the excellent and continuous work! I believe that the buffer layout had actually been straightened out in one of the recent versions - in any case with the latest V2.78 b23 it seems to work very well for me.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)