Re: LF: Problem with generator to VLF transmitter - correction

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Problem with generator to VLF transmitter - correction
From: "Marcin" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 21:16:06 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan, Markus, Rik, Graham!

Thanks for all your replies.

I’ll try to answer all your questions.

1.Our first club VLF tests we had in 2010. Our ODX is Jacek SQ5BPF 290km on a 500W transmitter. G3XBM’s site even mentioned this. Unfortunately, the last two years have been fruitless just because we had no driver. If the project continues with its current pace, it’s bound to get terminated.

2. The need for 180 degrees shift for duty cycle stems from the necessity of steering 2 transmitter IGBTs.

3. The 5-45% duty cycle can be regulated by the transmitter’s power.

4. Without capacitors our old antenna would resonate at ca. 17kHz. The capacitors are mica (30kV). We got our 30m mast stolen so now we just have a brand new 20m antenna as a replacement. Diagram attached.

5. Thanks for all your comments and advice on IGBT transistor connection.

6.I amaware of the difficulties with shifting time of transistors. All too often we could see them explode in 136kHz transmitters. To prevent overload we’ll use ordinary 40W, 220V light bulbs. :-)

7. The Rubidium synthesizer, I reckon, will prove a very good idea in the future.

8. There are 2*56V, 30A transformers there with diodes from a welding machine.

9. Thanks for all your comments&advice regarding antenna coil.

73! Marcin SQ2BXI