LF: Computer time synchronisation / Dimension 4

To: RSGB LF Group at blacksheep <[email protected]>, RSGB LF Group at Yahoo <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Computer time synchronisation / Dimension 4
From: wolf_dl4yhf <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 20:06:30 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Greetings all,

For the WSJT experiments, I had installed Dimension 4 on a windows 7 machine.

Seemed to work (at least I thought), but then I made these observations:

- on the Windows 7 machine, WSJT-X almost never decoded

- When asking Dimension 4 to re-synchronize the PC's system time via internet, the program repeatedly reported an offset of 0.7 to 0.8 seconds. Even when repeated a few seconds later, D4 still reported such an unusually large difference between "internet time" and the local time.

- Then modified the properties of D4 (after right-clicking on its icon) to run it with administrator privileges

- Then tried the second step again: Repeatedly asked D4 to 'synchronize now', in short intervals. Result: First corrected by 0.7 seconds, but after that, only by something like +40 milliseconds, -40 milliseconds, +40 milliseconds, etc. This is a similar behaviour as it had when D4 was running on the trusty old windows XP machine.

I haven't tried WSJT-X again since then, but maybe later..

BTW Window's own time-synchronizing service hardly ever works here, regardless of which time server is selected.

Guesswork: Maybe without admin privileges, Dimension 4 can detect the offset, but fails to set the PC's system time to the new (synchronized) value. Maybe others which get lots of "10 sync points but no text" in JT9 can try this on their (Vista- or Windows 7-) machines, too.

All the best,
   Wolf DL4YHF .

(now heading for DF0WD; no email there, but I will look out for LA5VNA and others arount 501.5 kHz. WX here terrible, cold and rainy, so I don't think I will stay at the club for very long)