Re: LF: LF interference

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: LF interference
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 23:05:35 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Gary,

the wideband screenshot (HDSDR Waterfall) shows the typical signature of a switchmode power supply. Most choppers run at lower frequency (eg 45 kHz), with the harmonic corrupting the LF band. The carrier is FM-modulated by the 100 Hz ripple of he primary voltage and usually swept across several kHz (which ironically is said to help passing EMC tests). The banded structure is due to the beating between the upward and downward chirps, a maximum occurs when the lag between the two is such that they are in phase. Near the edges of the spectrum, the bands are often wider because the two passes are closer in time near the point of return.

The other spectrogram (137700...2130) looked a bit weird at first. But it can be explained by the NB periodically triggering on the hash, twice per 10 ms. This apparently creates 200 Hz aliases of the DCF39 signal, which are visible as discrete lines on 138830 - N x 200 Hz. Of course these lines also carry an image of  the DCF modulation telegrams.

Try to observe whether on and off times are correlated to neighbours' christmas light effects (these often radiate badly due to long and outdoor wiring). Or walk around and try to locate it with a portable LF receiver in AM mode, preferably one with a small telescopic E-field antenna.

A couple of years back I have made an attempt on a software hash canceller, which estimates the repeating pattern of the chirps and tries to subtract it. If you would like to experiment with this, it's at

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:41 PM
Subject: LF: LF interference

Hi All,

For about 7 days or so I have been getting some very strong interference on the 136kHz band. At first it only came on for short periods (up to 1 or 2 hours) but from yesterday it came on early evening & stayed until early today & is there again tonight.

The interfering signal sounds like a buzzing noise on my LF Rx & the visual display shows a very unstable form. It starts from about 137.000kHz upwards & fades towards 145kHz.

I have placed 3 captures on Dropbox, 2 SpecLab (showing the start time) & 1 HDSDR showing the extent of the interference.

If anyone can identify this type of interference I would be pleased for comments. I believe I have eliminated all my own gear & household items.

Thanks & 73,

Gary - G4WGT.