LF: WSJT-X v0.4 r2731

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: WSJT-X v0.4 r2731
From: Joe Taylor <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 14:39:58 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

To:   Users of WSJT-X
From: Joe Taylor, K1JT

The installation file for WSJT-X version 0.4, revision 2731 has been posted at

http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJTX_04r2731.exe

In this revision a number of known bugs have been fixed, and the JT9 decoder is significantly improved. Among other improvements, the program is now much less fussy about timing issues.

My "To Do" list for WSJT-X is far from empty -- for example, many user-convenience features are yet to be implemented. However, in its present state WSJT-X performs well and will enable you to make QSOs at signal levels down to those specified on the last page of the User's Guide:
http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf

In some circumstances the present decoder will seem slow. Speed enhancements are yet to come. In the meantime, you will find it best to set "Tol" (the frequency tolerance parameter) to a value only a few times the width of the desired JT9 signal.

I have now made many QSOs with JT9-1 on 160 m, often with inaudible signals. I look forward to working you on that band soon! I also hope to have good receiving systems soon for 137 and 472/500 kHz: maybe we can work cross-band? A number of us have been coordinating our activity on the K3UK Sked Page: go to http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/ and then click on "digitalradio" at the upper right.

As always, your feedback on WSJT-X will be greatly appreciated! I'll do my best to fix reported bugs quickly. During this testing period, please remember to run the program with "Save All" checked, and send me examples of *.wav files on which the decoder behaves poorly.

    -- 73, Joe, K1JT