Re: LF: Interesting propagation.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Interesting propagation.
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 19:50:33 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

I was partially thinking along the same lines.

The longer darkness and sea-water path perhaps not being the most
important factors. It is dark long enough anyways now in Europe and I
beleive the sea-water path should enable 24/7 reception if being part
of the equation here.

I put my bets on higher QRN and background noise, although there must
be some places in central Europe where the man-made background noise
is unsignificant.

My QTH also has a noise handicap in the order of at least 10dB when it
comes to daytime reception on MF, I would not know what the empty band
sounds like daytime, had I never brought some RX-gear along to more
remote places. Same antenna and RX used in both cases just to be sure.

Those who swear by large wire antennas for RX on MF should know they
are lucky, because that is probably a good sign of living in a
relatively RFI-free environment.

BR

Paul-Henrik, OH1LSQ

Quoting Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe this is due to:

-a longer dark time in the upper part of the northern hemisphere (these days)
-a significant part of sea water on the path
-a higher distance to QRN sources (e.g. lightnings between Africa
and Italy in the last days)
-a lower average background noise floor due to the lower population
density in these coutries/locations

and a few more which i will remember after sending this email ;-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC